Tuesday, April 01, 2008

New Zealand beer leaves one with a sheepish taste.

When I got back last night I ended up talking to my roommate Staci for a while and we decided to hang out for the day. She had a car, so we drove down to Lake Manapouri about 15 miles away to check out the area. We looked to book a day trip to Doubtful Sound, but the boat would not get back until later than she wanted as she was planning to drive up to Milford Sound that afternoon to meet a friend. This worked out perfectly for me at least in that I needed someone to take up my extra bag (containing iPod, food, and other extra materials) so I wouldn't have to carry it on the Milford Track. She graciously agreed to take it up and drop it off at the hostel in which I had reservations the day I finished the track. I walked around town for a little and watched a film at the local cinema called 'A to Whenua' about the area that had some stunning cinematography. I spent a little time researching and catching email as well as picking up some last minute supplies and checking to be sure all my gear was in order. That evening I went out with the new roommates that came in that day and enjoyed several beers with Jola, Mike, and James (Wolly) at The Ranch for happy hour, getting back around 12:30 in the morning. I've really enjoyed meeting people like this and just getting know about others and have missed that in my previous solo trips when I car camp on my own.




No comments: