Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee.

I parked near the car park for Godley Head Recreational area on a cliff overlooking the sea. I explored the old batteries and the underground system that had been set up for a while. There had once been a lighthouse here, but it was moved further down the cliff face to make way for the gun emplacements. There was a gated fence, that blocked access to the lighthouse however there was just enough room to squeeze past it over the cliff face where a simple slip would mean a several hundred feet plunge. I took a look around for a little bit and checked out the lighthouse and foghorn room for a bit while enjoying the grand view over the water. I headed back out and then took a slow drive back into Christchurch where I got a much needed haircut and then headed back the downtown area. I parked relatively close to the Base X hostel downtown and there cooked the last of my perishable food while shelving the rest of what I had in the 'free' section of the kitchen, before taking a shower and checking email. After that I headed to the car and spent an hour or so cleaning it out of all my trash and dirt before heading to the airport to drop it off. After that all I could do was get the iPod charged up and wait for the plane. This would end up literally being the longest day of my life as I was now heading east. Being another long flight, I watched several movies including 3:10 to Yuma, Juno, The Golden Compass, and American Gangster while trying to stay awake to more easily reset my internal clock. It was good to finally be on my way back home.

No comments: