Monday, April 21, 2008

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

I got up fairly early from wherever I parked for the evening and headed towards Arthur's Pass NP. Most of this area of New Zealand is rural, so there were quite a few dirt roads to take, but they were all well maintained and very quiet and lonely except for the presences of sheep and other occasional farm animals meandering around the roads. The morning mist across the valleys made this for a very delightful drive. Other highlights included Punchbowl Falls, Cave Stream (a place that had some one way spelunking where an underground river could be followed for a few hundred meters from one side to another, and Kura Tawhiti Conservation Area, a bunch of rock formation springing from the ground like a garden. All turned out to be worth walks, even if I didn't have a light (grrrr) to be able to explore the cave stream. I was tempted just to drive to the closest town to rent or purchase a light, but I realized that I didn't have a lot of time left since I needed to make it back to Christchurch to make the hash run that evening. On the way out, I picked up a guy that was going into Christchurch as well, which worked out for us both as he was able to tell me how to get to the hash location which just happened to be right on the way, within a block, of where he lived. The hash itself was very different than what is experienced in the states. Apparently their $5 donation only goes to a few down-down beers and to dinner which the host/hare is responsible to provide. From what I understand, almost all the trails are dead, which would be the case if the hare has to stay an prepare food. With their checks, trail can resume anywhere within 100 meters away, so it may be to the next street corner and around the curve. The hare in this case laid it the day before, so marks were very difficult to spot, especially in the beach area. During circle, they of course had a single song for every down-down, just like Australia. It was nice to meet some other hashers, but if this was my only opportunity to hash, I'd definitely find another hobby. After the hash I headed back out of Christchurch for one final, must do, mission.







No comments: