Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Surfing the curl of the gravity wave on the shores of infinity.

I slept in a bit this morning, had lunch at Fergburger, and signed up for the River Surfing trip at one of the small local hostels so I could get some free Internet time. After checking email, and paying some bills, I hit the public library for a while to do some reading and pass the time. I got picked up at the downtown office and shuttled to the river surfing site. Almost no one in the group had ever been white water rafting, so I knew it was going to be slow going. The water levels were relatively low, so the whole experience was a lot less fun and exciting than I had hoped. The staff, especially Vera and Bjorn, was great, however I hated feeling corralled like cattle in that any time one strayed they would keep calling out, giving commands, to get them back close enough so that much of the time people were running into each other. I do understand that every single trip they must deal with neophytes and the uninitiated and have to be so careful. even on this trip from the start one person was overwhelmed by it all as it seemed they hadn't don't any kind of physically demanding thing in many years and had to be held onto by one of the guides the entire run down the river. I did enjoy myself, but just wasn't as thrilled as I hoped. We did two runs along the river, so we got some decent time out of it.

After we were done we were dropped off at the Onsen Spa just outside Queenstown for a cross promotion. It was a newly opened spa that was offering free soaks in the hot tub for 30 minutes. Since I have a hot tub at home, I really wasn't that excited, however the views were great and the whole outfit was pretty outstanding. There were private spa rooms that had a garage door style wall that would retract with a cliff-side overview of the valley. I suspect this would be a perfect place to spend some time when there is snow all around and I would really recommend this place having already had the chance to experience it!

No comments: