Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'm not a software pirate. More of a brigand I would say.

Tonight I went to see American Stage's annual performance in the park, "The Pirates of Penzance". Yesterday I had to go to my old place to do some maintenance on the house near USF, to which I dragged Kristen and we thereafter hit Ben and Jerry's for their annual 'free cone night'. On the way to the performance tonight, I did a 'reverse dinner' in that we stopped by a Baskin Robbins for their own '31 cent scoop night'. How can one beat 4 scoops of ice cream for less than $1.50? Even though it was to be a surprise, Kristen started guessing what we were doing, after recalling the previous evening's unexpected stop as we approached the Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts store.

K: Are we going to Dunkin Donuts for a free ice cream?
Me: Umm, no, Dunkin Donuts doesn't sell ice cream.
K: Are we going to Baskin Robbins for a free coffee?
Me: Umm, no, Baskin Robbins doesn't sell coffee, and besides, I don't like coffee and that wouldn't be quite a reverse dinner then, right?
K: Hmmmmm

We then pulled up to the drive-thru where I asked what kind of ice cream from Baskin Robbins she wanted for the .31 scoop night. Not a bad deal when combined with a nice picnic under the open sky during the performance. The play was lovely, singers (especially Mabel) excellent, and it was nice to finally see in context the Major-General's Song that has been parodied or referenced so often in modern culture.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For someone who doesn't like coffee you sure enjoyed the free mocha freeze night at Carvel on Thursday :-)