Saturday, March 15, 2008

If dolphins are so smart, why can't they just avoid the nets?

Last night was kind of rough since I found out my roommate Candyfloss snores like a Scottish banshee to the point where I grabbed the sleeping pad from my hiking pack and crawled into the bathroom with the door closed so I could get some sleep. Most of the bus group decided to go kayaking on a dolphin seeing excursion. Though I wanted to hang with the group, I have a lot of opportunity to paddle in Florida and see dolphins much of the time anyway and I just didn't think it was worth another $40 for me. Mams and I stayed with the group while they learned about the paddling and launch from the beach into the surf, though I must admit watching various folks try to get past the surf zone for the first time was entertaining the from what I understand there were no dolphins to be seen on the trip. While mams did her shopping and rest, I went swimming at the beach behind our hotel for a while until everyone got back.

We were bussed to a hash start location hosted by the Ballina hash after we stopped by a lookout over Lennox Natural Surfing Reserve for a group shot. The run was a nice spot along the inlet pier, beach, and other nice spots wit the end having a lunchtime cookout set up for the whole group. At circle Mr. X attempted to use a red card, however it was for Cosmo. The trail was nice enough to earn points, however there were deductions involved; -2 for not being hot enough, -1 for no dolphins, and -1 for not enough sunbathers on the beach). Mealticket competed in a down-down competition with Chaulky, but it might have been a tie. By the time they finished, the rest of us had probably forgotten what was going on. There were gonad down-downs, a Chinese circle fire drill, and realization that a soggy coconut might not contain only coconut milk. Fluffer got accused of queue jumping but was able to get out of it with a wonderful rendition of a dolphin chirp (which is surprising since we have yet to see any to imitate). This was my first exposure to a group of hashers (Bellina H3) that do not sing. I would later learn that apparently few hashes in all of Australia or New Zealand really sing. They typically use the same song for every single down-down.

We headed to the Ballina bowling club where we were entertaining by the chicken doing the wedding chicken dance on the table while talking to some of the locals. On the way home we saw a 20-foot prawn statute which the hash figured it would take two of to feed Weinerschnitzel. When we got back to the hotel I grabbed the cushion from the sofa in the front lobby to use as a mattress since Hummingbird and Mammaries allowed me to stay in their room so I could get some sleep.









No comments: