Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What if lemmings didn't have a cliff to jump over?

Today I hit Hovenweep National Monument and Mesa Verde National Park. Both were examples of cliff dwellings by native inhabitants long ago. They were both interesting sites, though Hovenweep was a good bit more primitive and further from major civilization. Since it is not a national park, it also gets considerably fewer visitors. I like the more complete structures offered by the preservation of the Mesa Verde area. I got there too late to really be able to explore any of the ruins during the hours in which they are open, so I could only do the overlooks this evening. Generally it is very hard to freedom camp in National Parks unless one is on a backcountry trail, of which there were few here. Normally I would drive outside of park boundaries and car camp, but the entrace was a pretty significant distance away. The park had several lodges used for guests, but I really didn't need the amenties or the expense, so I devised my own plan. I parked my car near the lodges and actually just pulled out my sleeping pad and sleeping bag under one of the lodges. they were built onto a hill, so half the buildings were on stilts. I was able to find a small concrete pad under one of the lodges in front of a small tool shed with the entire under area hidden by brush from the parking lot. This ended up being a great camping spot and even when it rained that evening I was completely dry and protected fromt he wind.















No comments: