Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Drive slower than your guardian angel can fly.

Today saw an early start to do another well known hike in Zion National Park, Angel's Landing. this is a fairly tough hike that takes much of the day to do and has a few precarious spots. On knife edge, the path is about 4 feet wide and has a 800 foot drop on one side with a 1200 foot drop on the other. At least once every few years someone takes a fatal trip with another person (the 6th since 1983) having died there in June of this year. It was a tough walk up, but the views once reaching the end were spectacular. After finishing the hike, I headed up to the Virgin Narrows. I was originally scheduled to hike from the top of the narrows downriver over a couple of days, however my plans had to be changed when the area was shut down due to a forest fire. So all I could do at this point was hike up-river and back, which still ended up being a lot of fun. Hiking poles and wet-wear shoes made all the difference. It was all slow going since the water was absolutely opaque due to runoff from the scorched areas. I just went a couple of miles up before I decided to turn around and come back. Overall, it was a great day and I was quite fortunate to see such beautiful things.













No comments: