Thursday, July 19, 2007

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one.

I parked near the Navajo National Monument area last night so I could be in early enough for the morning tour before it got hot. This is also an old cliff dwelling, however where at the other ones we were mostly looking up, this one was deep down in the canyon. It could be seen from the visitor center, but required a guided-only hike for a couple of hours to reach it. Some of the construction methods were similar to that of the Pueblos, but the styles were similar. After the 4 hour hike I headed through Monument Valley (often used as the backdrop for Hollywood Movies) on my way to Natural Bridges National Monument. While Arches required a lot of hiking to reach most of the well known spot, most of the sites here could be seen from the roadway, which was a nice change of pace versus the hot afternoon walking.



















No comments: