Sunday, July 22, 2007

Coloring the sunshine hours, they are the ladies of the canyon.

I got up early in order to visit Bryce Canyon National Park in the early morning light. I got to Sunrise Point and took some photos before deciding to do a rim-to-rim hike so that I could take advantage of the shuttle system. Starting at Sunrise Point I walked all the way to Bryce Point and even did an additional loop among the hoodoos around Peekaboo Canyon. After finishing the hike, I headed off towards Pipe Spring National Monument that was once an old homestead. I took the short tour to learn about the area for a bit, got my stamp, and then headed off to my final destination for the day, the north rim of Grand Canyon National Park. I didn't get there early enough to get my stamp, but I was able to really enjoy the place. My first glimpse of the canyon was through the huge windows of the lodge. I walk outside to the observation area and really took in the crisp air and views. I walked various trails near the lodge and even met a nice group of older ladies that were camping and doing their annual trip from Arizona. We chatted for a while and even grabbed a bit to eat at the snack bar before relaxing by the outdoor fire at the lodge for a while chatting. I had drive outside of the national park boundaries to find a camping spot, but was able to locate a nice dead-end just off of a dirt road not too far from the entrance in which I could set up my hammock for the evening.
















Collage of pictures taken at Pipe Springs (it wasn't that large of a place).




No comments: