Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"There is a storm coming" "I know."

Since I didn't have to get up very early as most visitors to Mesa Verde today, I was able to sleep in a bit and arrive just before the visitor's center opened in order to get my tickets to the hikes around the ruins. Each of the interpretative walks were quite informative regarding the history and preservation of the area. The tours walked around the various, fairly well preserved, cliff dwellings. after leaving Mesa Verde, I stopped by the Yucca House National Monument. One will nit likely find this on any tourist map since it pretty much just consists of a few short walls covered by brush and a couple of unexcavated mounds. It took a little navigating to reach and even the rangers at the nearby National Park seemed to not really know of its existence. I also made a stop at the confluence of Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico; also known as The Four Corners. While on the way down the highway as it was getting dark, a large storm started rolling across the horizon. The clouds made for a great sunset and as it got dark, the lightning became more vivid. after seeing the end of movie Terminator, I had always wanted to be on a deserted, straight highway going off beyond where the eye could see as a storm starting moving in. I got out after a while and set up the tripod and the camera to auto-fire with slightly longer than normal shutter speed so the flashes would show up. I left it up for a long time and took a few thousand pictures with 97% of them being nothing of interest, but a could came out fine.





















No comments: