Sunday, July 08, 2007

Geysers, like us all, need to let off steam sometimes.

It was nice to be able to wake up with geysers and nature completely surrounding me. I headed over to the Old Faithful Visitor center to pick up the park stamp and check the eruption prediction schedule. There was a ranger excursion starting shortly for which I signed up. I wandered around for a few minutes before heading back to the car to make breakfast. The ranger talk was very interesting and it was great to learn about the various geothermal features. We were taken on a long tour around the boardwalk in the Upper Geyser Basin where we learned much concerning the history of the park and the facets of the area. While on the walk I got my first daytime viewing of the famous Old Faithful Geyser. It is still scientifically amazing to me as how this has been such a constant phenomenon for such a long time as well as well as the accuracy of the predictions. It was sad to see that before the display was over the groups around the viewing platform seemed to dissipate, as if boil water shooting dozens of feet into the air isn't all that interesting anymore.

After the tour, I spent the next few hours walking around the rest of the basin area. There are simply an amazing number of active pools, mud pots, and geysers here. Every few feet there was some feature that I felt I could just sit down and enjoy for hours at a time. The clarity of the water reminded me of some of the hidden springs of Florida (where I didn't have to worry about boiling temperatures). This blog simply doesn't have enough room for me to post all of my 'favorite' photos from just this hike along. Many of the pools had such incredible colors due to the bacteria that lived at each temperature level. Every feature seemed to be significantly unique and somehow alluring. While a watched pot may never boil, these springs never cease to boil, so you can watch them all day. After watching the Daisy Geyser eruption, I made may way back to the Old Faithful area so I could continue my journey around the park.


As I headed towards the Norris Geyser Basin, there were several nice spots to stop including Gibbons falls, Artists Paintpot, Black Sand Basin, with several random wildlife viewings thrown in. It is hard to really offer a lot more detail regarding the walks other than pretty mush naming the different geothermal features that I saw. There was a lot of hiking involved and every area had a lovely uniqueness. seeing these things were exactly what I had wanted to witness for as long as I can remember. It was just so nice to get so far away from urban life and enjoy the transcendental aspects of nature and should be something experienced by everyone that wants to get something out of life and maybe even garner an appreciation for the outdoors and need to protect it. After visiting the Ranger Museum near Norris, I headed further north towards the last basin area for the day.



Mammoth Hot Springs has to be just about my favorite site in the entire park. These springs have created an amazing view that has been unparalleled in my experience. The terraces have been formed by calcium carbonate that has been deposited for thousands of years that create the stalactite-like or stalagmite-like formations. The colors were absolutely amazing when viewed from the side. I could have a million different Crayola Crayons and feel that I still not duplicate what I had seen. I spent another 3 hours here burning off daylight just sitting for a while and listening to the sounds of water and steam while immersed in a kaleidescope of the color spectrum. It is one of the most significant moments of serenity I had ever experienced. My modicum of writing ability cannot do this place justice. After enjoying the area for a while I headed through fort Yellowstone towards the north entrance to the park, the site of the Roosevelt Arch. I got a few pictures and headed off to a nearby cache and search for a place to stay overnight. After finding the cache and dropping off and picking up a few items, I came across a great little spot to throw up the tent overnight that even had a deer casually walking around behind a small pond. This was an absolute perfect spot as I was able to quickly set up my tent and fix dinner while overlooking the whole of Yellowstone National Park below me. What an incredible experience!

No comments: