Monday, May 01, 2006

An old timer is someone who remembers when a baseball game was called because of darkness.

It has been over 20 years since I went to a baseball game. My friends Tara, Tom, and Liz came up foam Naples to watch the Devil Rays play the Red Sox at the Thunderdome (what it was called way back when the Lightning used to play hockey there and before it call named after the orange juice). Tara was nice enough to purchase tickets and leave them at Will Call for Corey and myself since we were running a bit behind. The seats were in the outfield area pretty much directly under large monitor, but we still had a good view. While there is no half time or periods between the innings, there still seemed to be a lot of down time among the action.

The best part is just hanging out with friends during the game and conversing. Afterwards we hung out at one of the local bars for a while as the traffic died down. Overall I might attend a few more games after the good experience. Recently some of the rules of the stadium changed in that there is now free parking plus a specific allowance for people to bring in their own water bottle, some limited food, and even personal cameras (I took the above picture with my stock 18-55mm lens since my 70-300mm lens did not arrive until later in the week). This would entice me much more to attend future games since the stringent rules at other stadiums are such a turn-off.

No comments: