Thursday, May 25, 2006

Old White water rafters never die, they just get disgorged.

Since I wasn't able to get an early start on the trip, I decided not to travel as far as the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. On the advice of a friend, I decided to make my first trip to Tallulah Gorge State Park. This was a site at which Karl Wallenda, on July 18, 1970, made a famous high wire crossing of the gorge, while doing two head stand, with little but several hundred feet of air below him. There is a suspension bridge (right) that crosses the gorge and takes one down to the floor for a great view of one of the falls (left).

In order to hike the rest of the gorge, one has to get a limited (free) permit from the park office on the day of the visit. There were not any real trails on the bottom, so most of the hiking was bolder jumping and climbing. There were several other nice falls along the way. On certain days the dam releases more water for not only aesthetics but also so that kayakers can enjoy the run. Swimming was only allowed at on the last set of falls and pooling area. Bridal falls made for a nice sliding ride into the cool (only 67 degrees according to my watch) water. I met a bunch of seniors from LSU and took some shots of them and later had one of them get some pictures of me going down as well (right).

Unfortunately, every step one takes down into the gorge is one step up that one has to exert. The climb out was a pretty straight shot up and was a bit tiring, especially when I noticed a small storm coming in with a bit of a scramble to find shelter. I was able to make it to the top just as the rain started and took a break under one of the information booths as I waited for the storm to pass. After a light 20 minute shower the skies cleared and I headed along the south ridge trail. I made sure to check out all the different overlooks as well as the spot there the old tower that held the cable for the high-wire walk was still located. I looped by the Tallulah Dam and headed back to the park center. Throughout the whole trail system there were some really nice views.

After leaving the park, I headed toward Anna Ruby Falls near Unicoi State Park, just outside of the Helen. Since it would get dark soon, I went to the Anna Ruby Falls recreational area so I could get in some pictures before it got too late. Since the light was dying, the pictures didn't come out great, but I was able to get in a couple of decent shots (left) before I had to sprint to the gate before it closed for the evening.

I was able to get cleaned up in the Unicoi State Park camping area and then headed back into Helen to find some grub. The town of Helen is a re-creation of an alpine village complete with cobblestone alleys and old-world towers. I enjoyed chatting with some of the locals while I awaited my food at one of the local taverns but could definitely feel the days strenuous parts catching up to me. After driving around for a bit I was able to find a place to crash near the site of the next day hike, Dukes Creek Falls.

No comments: