Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The plural of "musical instrument" is "orchestra"

This evening I decided to go to the Florida Orchestra concert at the Mahaffey Theater in St. Petersburg to listen to them play music from the score of the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. I have been a LOTR fan for a while and was always moved by the music that was composed by Howard Shore and felt it made the movies so much more moving and potent. I wanted to get to the theater early, but I had an issue at the office with which I had to deal, so I left really late and was in a rush to get there. I didn't pre-purchase any tickets due to online 'convenience' fees and such and figured I'd just chance it and hope for the best. This strategy has worked out in the past such as the recent concert I attended at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater last month. I was then able to get great seats in the orchestra section through someone selling from Craig's list for less than the cheapest seats in the house. I do tend to believe in karma a bit in terms that if one is willing to help others, then they may be helped as well.

I arrived less than 10 minutes before curtain, so most people had gone inside already and I figured my only chance was to get something from the box office. Unfortunately someone was just ahead of me, so I had to wait a bit. Just as I was starting to get antsy, someone came up and asked if I needed tickets. I inquired a bit more and apparently the guy had some extras and was just willing to sell them for about $20. Since even the cheapest tickets advertised were at least $25 (I later found out that all those were sold out and the only available seats were $45), I decided to go for it. I was dismayed to find that I only had 2 one dollar bills, a ten dollar bill, and an hundred dollar bill (just got paid for a job) that I was going to use at the ticket counter. The guy was very kind and accepted the $10 since the seats were right next to him anyway. After he went inside, I tried to get chance for the large bill, but was told that she didn't have enough. I went inside and when I looked at the ticket I was surprised that it was for the orchestra section, in the seventh row!!

I explained to the guy about the change thing and tried to give him my address and phone number so I could later send more money, however he politely declined any additional money other than the last two dollar bills that I had thrust into his hand. Apparently he did web design for the orchestra and instead of getting paid, they gave him tickets to events. sine they were nearly free, this person could have just as easily not even taken the time to offer them to someone standing in line, especially when the concert was minutes away from starting. Though they left during intermission, I did try to extend my appreciation and get a chance to chat for a few minutes.

The performance itself was phenomenal! With some minor variations, it was very nearly like the soundtrack, only better. Besides just the instruments being played, there was a 170+ person chorus consisting of the USF Chamber Singers, Florida Boychoir, and the Clearwater Christian College Chorale. Almost all of the major pieces from the soundtrack were played with splendor, including soloist vocals by Kaitlyn Lusk. I have no problem admitting that parts of it were as stirring this evening as they were when I first heard them in the theater. In all they played a little over two hours and I am very glad to have had a chance to experience this and am encouraged to attend more events when I have the time or money available. In the warmer weather there will be some free concerts in the park that I'll have to add to my calendar of events.

No comments: