Saturday, February 03, 2007

Lobster thermidor aux crevettes with truffle pate', brandy and spam.


Last evening I attended the 'Spamalot' show at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center after having been invited by a friend. When it first started I thought it was just a complete rehash of Monty Python's 'Search for the Holy Grail'. I was wondering why the audience was laughing so much when one of the famous scenes came up; bring out your dead, King Arthur arguing with mud peasant on the aspects of government, etc. It is like constantly laughing at the first word of a joke when you already know the punchline. Thankfully though, things changed around enough to allow some new things, but still remain in familiar territory.

It was an enjoyable show ad there were a few funny new bits, so I'm definitely glad to have been offered the opportunity to check it out. I did miss two of my favorite bits from the movie that were not in 'Spamalot', mainly the clapping prisoner in the dungeon during the Camelot scene of the singing of 'Knights of the Round Table' and the slaying of the narrator at the end. Other than that, it was quite enjoyable and I hope this encourages me to see even more productions in the future.

No comments: