Sunday, October 01, 2006

Our brochure says 'safe beach'. You must have gone into the water

On Friday I went to the Santana concert with my roommate, her friend, and my friend Adrienne's roommate (since I had an extra ticket). We got in a little early and parked for some tailgating before heading inside. I was working on the teardrop camper wiring and wanted to make sure everything worked with the inverter and found that the floor fan made things quite comfortable.

The show itself was quite enjoyable with a pretty large crowd in attendance. I liked how there were many different instruments including quite a bit of brass and even an organ. There was a good set list covering the decades Carlos Santana has been playing and towards the end the tempo really picked up, which got me to do some dancing even! After the show ended, we returned to the trailer to wait out the insane traffic and relaxed in relative comfort as the gridlock worked itself out. After about an hour we packed up and were able to pull out without stopping, which made for some stress free riding back home. Saturday was spent doing some house work and more painting at the apartment before heading to the hash run that evening. The trail was set by a some hares that are training for a marathon, so I knew we were in for a good trail that ended up covering a little over four miles. We hit Po Boys cafe as the on-after and then a few of us had an impromptu pool party at SLF and BS's place. Since I had to be back at the apartment around 9 in the morning, I decided to not even bother driving home and just slept in the camper in my office parking lot since I was just a couple miles away. Though it is a bit tight in terms of roominess, I think it'll work perfectly for my intended uses, namely a quick and comfortable place to crash when on road trips and place to cook a few personal meals.

Sunday was spent doing a little work in the morning before I met Dad at the residence of someone selling a small camper. Apparently he found a tiny pop-up style camper and was considering getting it when the bigger camper is just overkill. While we were looking over and discussing it someone else pulled up and after they conferred with the owners, we were told (while we were standing right next to it mind you) that it was no longer available and had just been sold. That is a pretty pissy thing to do, but what can one do about it? I headed over to the beach since I wanted to take Kinda out for some exercise and since I hadn't really been able to lay out on the beach during the day in quite a while. The weather was awesome and I sat out while catching up on some reading for a few hours. Before taking off I walked around Fort DeSoto for a while and then drove over to the point closest to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge to take a few pictures of the Carnival ship heading out to sea. Kinda decided that even after the bath she wanted to play a bit more and ran out to lay in the water. While I grumbled at having to dry her off *again*, it did make for a couple of decent shots. This week will be spent finishing with the apartment, office financials (bleh) and packing for the upcoming weekend in DC. It should be fun.

3 comments:

Jerri said...

4 miles is comparable to a marathon?

We need to pool our resources and get Brownie to hare a hash in Tampa!!! Guess it's all those retired folks in FL.

Anonymous said...

Those campers are "teardrops", not pop-ups, and they are stupid easy to build yourself. If you are your old man have a few wood working tools and time you could do it over a few months. If you guys could stand being around eachother that much. If you would like to be pointed in the right direction for building sites shoot me an email or just do some web searches for "teardop trailer".

mblitch said...

The thing pictured is my personal teardrop. When I went to the beach I took it since I already had batteries, charis, umbrella, etc. in it and it was attached from tailgating a few evenings before. What I was at the beach I though it was a neat scene and took a couple of shots.

The story was indeed about a small pop-up that we were also looking at that day. I can see though how the story and the picture were confusing. The tear drop was indeed a fun project and I just have a bit more wiriting to do. I decided to forgo the 1500W inverter and just go for a 400W one that is enough to power the external fan and such.

Thanks for the advice though.