Tuesday, October 10, 2006

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one.

I woke up to another pretty day, though unfortunately I could feel that I was going to soon get sick. I could feel a general body ache and even slight fever approaching, but figured I could make it though the day before it really hit me. I am starting to think that running around in a light rain with 50 degree temperatures wearing little more than a thin material is not the greatest idea in the world. I took the train into the Smithsonian Metro stop and headed to the Washington Monument to get a tour ticket and then head to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. I found that they did not open until 10AM, so I took a stroll over to the Jefferson Memorial to get in a couple of pictures and enjoy the view of the tidal basin. I hit a cafe for a quick breakfast and then went through the Holocaust Museum. I had already been here about 6 years when I first visited the city, however the exhibit was not any less moving. I only had about 1:45 to go through, so I didn't get to read through all the displays. One cannot help but leave with a heavy heart and empty, pitted stomach and a want to see the end of that kind of incident forever.

The Washington Monument had usually been closed or the tours filled when I had previously visited. I picked up a noon tour ticket in the morning and arrived 10 minutes early. I was quite pleasantly surprised that the group also had the opportunity to take a tour down the steps so that we could see all the memorial stones that make up part of the structure. Though I probably won't be able to post them all, I think I got pictures of nearly all of them. To me the most unique ones were the Arizona petrified wood stone and the Alaska jade stone. The tour took just over an hour and a half and offered some spectacular views of the entire area from the top windows. After that was over, I didn't have any more time available and had to head back to Dano's place in Ballston to grab my bag before heading off to Dulles to fly home. By this time in the afternoon I was already feeling quite tired and achy and spent the rest of the evening try to rest as much as possible between the layovers and waiting for bags. Hopefully this isn't something that'll hit me for too long since it already wrecked some plans that I had earlier. Over all, it was a god trip and I really enjoyed meeting a many new people as well as see old friends. I learned a bit more about history and myself and will look to make this an annual event, but we'll see what comes up until then.

No comments: