Sunday, September 06, 2009

I'm only walking since I don't have my flying license yet.

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see" - G. K. Chesterton

Last year was the best year of my life, one I'm unsure of ever being able to top. There were so many elements that made it complete and I am glad to have such a lasting memory. But, things can change; jobs and the economy, residency, hobbies, choices, outlooks on life, relationships, plans, a total way of thinking, and even people. There is always something upon which to reflect and try to learn/understand. So, I'm going to take advantage of an opportunity that presented itself a few weeks ago and take off for a while. So, over the next month I'm going on a walkabout. I'm hope to be able to tick off a lot of the remaining items on my life list of goals; something that was created in 10th grade religion class project at Bishop England HS so long ago and still remains quite relevant to me today. I'm going to just get out of Tampa for a while and see more of what is out there. I know I'll meet some cool people along the way and find some adventure as well. So in light of the quote above, I'm going to go spend some time to see what there is to see for a little while and hopefully return; at least rejuvenated if anything. Lord knows one cannot find solace in a bottle, but maybe I can experience one more transcendentalistic moment. I know where I've been, I just don't know where I am going; then again maybe I don't want to.

“Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things - air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky - all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” - Cesare Pavese

1 comment:

IK said...

Hope this trip restores you and teaches you to appreciate you again.