Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I found the needle in the haystack, but lost my thread.

Day 8: Portland

After waking up, Chris B. and I headed a bit east up the Columbia river to check out some of the falls, especially Multnomah Falls. We decided to do a loop trail that would take us to the top of the falls and along a few nice vistas and even a mountain spring. We hikeed for a while and then headed to check out the Bridge of the Gods. We took a little extra time to visit the Bonneville Dam, but only had enough time for me to quickly grab a NPS stamp for my book before we had to head back. When traveling a few days prior, Chris met up with Danny B. who was also traveling to Portland and invited him to join us. We needed to get back into town to pick him up from the airport before continuing on.

After we snagged Danny, we collectively decided to head west to the coast. I was kind of hoping to visit Aura, OR just to check out some of the filming sites for 'The Goonies' (as a pilgrimage of the 80's) however it would have just added way too much time and miles to make it worthwhile. We made it to Cannon Beach and a famous landmark called Haystack Rock, which did play a significant part in the Goonies movie, so my childhood soul was at least appeased. This was the first time Danny had ever seen the Pacific Ocean. We walked the beach for a while before I decided to just walk out for a while, and wait. I stood out in the knee deep, frigid water feeling the surge as the sand eroded from under my feet, staring into the horizon. About 24 hours before I was on a boat in the Atlantic a little after sunrise and here I was on the other coast as the sun left. I've had a lot to think about this year and standing here somehow felt good and was something I needed. I later joined the boys as we walked to the pinnacles to get some pictures of the sunset. Afterward we would a commercial campground in which we could stay so we could grab a shower and then walked into town for a bit of food before crashing for the night.

























No comments: