Sunday, September 13, 2009

Four boxes keep us free; cartridge, ballot, soap, and jury.

Day 6: Boston

After sleeping in a bit, I headed out to my first visited site, the Longfellow National Historic Site in Cambridge. Besides the association with the famous poet, I learned that this was also the headquarters and home of George Washington for a while during the Revolutionary War. I was able to arrive in just enough time to get the NPS stamp for the site and sign up for the tour, using the annual park pass. Being such a beautiful day out, it was quite enjoyable to walk the gardens and learn about the history of each of the rooms. Afterwards, I headed to the Boston Commons area. Since it involved the added bonus of walking through the park, I decided to go to the Bull and Finch Pub that is best known for being the site for exterior shots used in the old TV show 'Cheers'. Even for a show last aired in 1993, this was a very popular tourist spot, so it took a while for me to get my own clear tourist picture before heading back. I decided to take the whole Freedom Trail that ran through the historic areas that were such a part of the nation's forming. I purchased a walking pamphlet at the visitor center that provide information about each of the major sites and enjoyed being able to take a leisurely stroll while learning more about the area. I was able to pick up several NPS park stamps at different sites run and protected by the National Park Service. I was able to make a few side trips whenever I liked and ran across a taping of a commercial for the New England Patriots; complete with one of their players, the cheerleaders, of course, and a large group of participating fans. It was neat to see the process of their having to go through multiple takes and resets.

Along the way I also came across a decently famous eatery called Mike's Pastry. This place has some pretty rave reviews, so I decided I might as well stop in and check out a local hot spot and get a gift for my gracious host. The place was absolutely crowded with people, however the process was going fairly quickly as people were being served relatively quickly. When we got to the counter I witnessed a very humbling scene. A obviously well decorated career Marine in dress uniform was making a purchase. His order was just a dozen of "whatever" various one they had available, apparently a gift for someone or a function. When it was put together and brought out to him, he brought out his credit card only to learn that the shop accepted only cash. Within seconds I saw without hesitation several people individually and simultaneously pull out their wallets and bring forth the cash to cover the order. Before the Marine was even given the chance to react in the slightest, and that is saying a lot regarding how fast this happened, the manager who happened to be nearby glanced up, slid the box over, said "no charge. Who's next?" and went on to the next customer. The comments I heard regarding the incident were some barely audible "thank-yous" from other customers as the Marine made his way out the door.

I arrived too late in the day to get into the NPS visitor's center, however I was able to make it to the USS Constitution while tours were still being conducted. I learned a good bit concerning the history of the vessel and the restoration and her still active duty status. We only were able to visit a small portion of the ship, but got a feel for the living conditions and operation of the ship. Afterwards, I headed over to the Bunker Hill Monument for a few evening shots before heading back to my couch in Cambridge.


















No comments: