Thursday, July 09, 2009

Cats use claws to climb trees and fire departments to get down.

For the second time since I started working in Ybor, a big thunderstorm shut off power to my building, essentially halting everything. the first time this happened I was still just a volunteer and think I had impressed people when I was able to whip out several headlamps from my truck so we could finish going through some papers before calling it a day. This time it was a bit strange since there was power in some places, but not everywhere, but computers wouldn't run. It was when I tried to turn on the small fan on my desk that I found it was running, but very, very slow. Though I didn't have the voltmeter with me, that simply told me that the voltage was really low, so essentially a brownout electrical condition. That can be very bad for computers, so I brought out the headlamp once again and went around the building turn off all the power strips on the computers so any subsequent surges as power was restored wouldn't kill everything. There was some kind of commotion across the road where a bunch of fire trucks came out, but we never really noticed anything and figure it must have been some electrically triggered alarm. Oh well, exciting day.


No comments: