Friday, July 03, 2009

Even when you're running the world, you can't get off.

After finishing some remodeling most of the day, I headed over to St. Pete to meet up with some friends at the monthly 'First Friday' event where a street is blocked off for some live music and other entertainment. I met up with everyone over at The Independent before hitting the street party. It didn't take long before we got hungry, so we hit a combo Thai/Chinese place for some noodle goodness and a few beers before joining the pack. It wasn't long before I had to take off in order to make it to the Dunedin Midnight 10K race.

In the way to Dunedin, I passed a local baseball field that had a pretty nice fireworks show just along Hwy 19 where I pulled over for a little while to gander at the display and take a few pictures before heading off to the race. This was my first 10K and a last minute decision, but with the running I've done lately, I wanted to push myself a little bit and see what I could do. Even at the 12:15AM start time it was pretty darn humid, but the course was pretty neat with much of it light up with roadside candles. I did enjoy the aspect of a night run and near silence, even with so many feet pounding pavement nearby. Around mile 4 I was questioning my thought process of doing such a long run when I had other plans for the weekend, but I eventually pushed myself to the end, even finding enough energy for a last quarter-mile sprint. I placed a disappointing 57:48 time with a 9:18 average pace, but at least it is a start, and technically a personal record (even if there was no prior record).





No comments: