Thursday, July 02, 2009

Life is not fair...it is, however, quite a circus.

I previously had planned to hit the Cirque Du Soleil show last week, however the plans had changed due to my own bad planning at one point, so I decided to take the opportunity to see it tonight before the busy July 4th weekend started. This was a great opportunity to stay late at the office since the show didn't start until 7:30. The building started to quickly empty around 1 o'clock after the office cookout and by 3:30 or so it was almost all but empty, so I was able to turn up the music for once and get through some decent reading of some old contracts that needed review. Since there is a stop just feet from the office, I took the Tampa Streetcar/trolley from the office to the Forum that was hosting the show. I've seen many of the Cirque shows in the past, including a good viewing of Ka in Las Vegas last March, however this was the first time I'd seen Saltimbanco, the oldest Cirque touring show.

After purchasing a low-price tier ticket at the box office I headed up to take my spot, however the usher of my section was handing out a few tickets for free, unsold seat upgrades, so I got to head back down to get a center row seat with an excellent view; so I ended up being quite pleased. Like the rest, I really enjoyed the show and the different acts and performances. I really enjoyed the first act with the large cast or acrobats jumping among the poles with style and finesse; looking like brightly colored, beautiful monkeys chasing a moth through a room. If you don't get a chance to see it, no matter the circumstance, there are numerous Saltimbanco video clips available to view.

If you haven't seen a Cirque performance, then check out this video clip from the 2002 Oscars award show that is among my favorites. It is a great introduction as it pulls acts from numerous shows that coincide with scenes from different movies. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/57414/cirque_du_soleil_oscars/

No comments: