Saturday, July 11, 2009

I love dinosaurs, women that communicate how they truly feel, elves, and other fantasy creatures.

After at least three other attempts, I figured this would be the time to make it to Cape Canaveral to do some kayaking and see the shuttle launch. I was supposed to go on one of the previous kayak trips when I canceled last minute due to a need to work over the weekend; later learning the launch was scrubbed due to a leak. My next attempt was a trip over for one night; heading out around 10PM, arriving and setting up cameras and sleeping on the mattress in the truck only to find out that it was canceled (same fuel leak issue) after I woke up, and then driving back home to make it to the office by 9AM.

This time it looked as if everything was ready with a clean check of the fuel systems, decent weather, and closing window of launch opportunity. I got everything packed up for an overnight kayak with a local kayaking group and was excited about the chance to finally see another launch. Just as I was literally pulling onto the entry ramp for I-4 to head to Cape Canaveral, I got a call from my friend Dave saying that the shuttle was, once again, scrubbed. Apparently a storm the previous night had seen a lot of lightning activity, so everything had to be recertified for flight status. Not to waste an afternoon and fully loaded camera, I decided to just take the opportunity to hit a small theme park I had seen so many times before but never got myself to visit, Dinosaur World. Since the interstate system was developed, so many roadside attractions completely died off or are even now just barely surviving; Weeki Wachee, Silver Spring, cypress Gardens, Sunken Gardens, etc. I really didn't know what to expect here, only really being attracted due to the huge roadside advertising. I was pleasantly surprised by the theme park. Even without the 50% coupon from the Entertainment Book, the normal price of ~13 wouldn't have been too bad at all. The models of all the 'animals' were really well done where I was expected some kind of very simple structures, many of these were quite large in scale. This was a great little spot where I could play with some HDR photography. Being a very shaded area, things would have come out much better if I thought to bring the tripod along, but at least many of them turned out decently. If you're ever looking for a random activity to do for the day, then I think dropping by here would definitely be worth the time. Though I could barely pronounce any of the scientific, or even common, names, I still learned a few things. After wandering for a couple of hours, I next hit the nearby winery for an impromptu wine tasting. For $3 bucks one could try several wines on the list, including sweet wines with blueberry or peach infusion. I actually picked up a couple of bottles to somewhat build up something more of a collection for the game room wet-bar.

I've posted some of the better Dinosaur World photos here; http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2353714&id=5026895&l=4a7385dbb1





No comments: