Sunday, November 26, 2006

Good teaching is 1/4 preparation and 3/4 theater.

I was at work yesterday trying to finish up some projects and get the place organized when I get a sudden whim to go out and do something that I had not experienced in a while. After taking a look at the local happenings on the TBT website, I decided to go check out the American Stage Theater Company's production of "All the Great Book (Abridged)". The basic premise was that th audience is in a remedial literature class so they can pass the requirements necessary to graduate, which is in about 2 hours. The coach, drama teacher, and a student teacher thereby cover 89 classic books in this time period into what turns out to be a very funny performance. I had seen the same company in only a single previous performance a little over a year and a half ago. About 30 minutes before the show there are rush tickets available at half price, so I arrived about 15 minutes before show time and was able to get a great seat in the third row. I thought the performance was well done and really enjoyed the show and am looking forward to attending others in the future at not only American Stage, but also MAD Theater, Gorilla Theater, the Carrollwood Players and other production companies in the area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so true... the best way to teach someone something and have them remember it is to entertain them with it! I doubt my theatrics are that good, but they pass muster!
bs