Friday, June 30, 2006

Couch Potatoes (slang), n. - People into Transcendental Vegetation

I received horrible news today. The beloved website of www.couchsurfing.com had a melt down recently and apparently due to administration ineptness, lost its backup and full database! This site was a great service for the wanderlusts around the world. It was a generally free service that allowed people to share their couch, spare bedroom, living room floor with travelers. I used the service last time I was in DC and got to know a very nice young lady and had some great experiences. I've also hosted surfers previously and actually met one of my ex-roommates through couchsurfing.com when he came to Tampa to interview at USF. I was going to use the service when I traveled to California next month and find people that were local to wherever I was at the time and just use my laptop to contact them when I was on the way. Hopefully someone will be able to step up and put up another service to help travelers get in touch.

No comments: