Sunday, June 25, 2006

Faith, hope and love can work wonders, but ruby slippers can't hurt either.

When scanning the weekend happenings section of the newspaper, I noticed that there was going to be a showing of 'The Wizard of Oz' at the Tampa Theater. For those that haven't been, the theater is an exquisitely designed both inside and out. You can see get a virtual tour on the tbo.com website (http://tour.tbo.com/tour/stops/tampatheatre.htm)It is historical in that it was built in the 1920s and was the first commercial building to install air conditioning!

It was all rainy out, so I decided that it was a perfect time to go. There were a lot more people there than I was expecting, including a lot of families that were dressed up as some of the characters, much like one would see at a showing of the 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' or any other cult classic. It had been a long, long time since I'd seen the whole movie and I was still impressed by the visual effects and story line of a film made in the late 1930s. Overall it was a nice experience and interested me in checking out more classics (such as Casablanca, Mary Poppins, and Gone with the Wind) and other such movies that are shown there.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Ahhh... Wizard of Oz!! I luuurve that show! I have the best witch voice EVER too! I'm jealous you saw it on a big screen... there's a theatre here that shows old movies in the summer... I wonder if they have started yet. I'll have to go look. Thanks for reminding me... : )