Sunday, August 16, 2009

Now that I've muddied the waters it's time to paddle off!

In taking a break from a research project, I decided to head out and d a paddle/kayak event with the Tampa Adventure Group to Shell Key Preserve. I got out there a little late, but still was able to arrange to meet up with one of the other member that needed to borrow a boat. We were fortunate to have the wind to ours backs as we made our way to the island around 5 o'clock. Although most expected it to be hot, the temperature was quite comfortable, even if a little chilly due to the wind coming from passing thunderstorms. Stan built a nice fire and most of us sat around and chatted throughout the evening. Funny how we'd be ready to go out on the town normally, but by 9:30-10 most were ready for bed after a day of paddling and sun. I had already set up my hammock tent in the wooded area and had a comfortable sleep even when there was some brief rain. Apparently those on the beach did get a bit wind blown during the evening. We all took off relatively early in the morning since it was obvious stronger winds would develop due to an approaching tropical depression in the Gulf. The wind was even stronger heading back and we had to face it directly pretty much the entire time. Two of the groups in canoes had to make for Ft. DeSoto park instead of toughing it out and heading for the boat ramp. I guess they didn't anticipate the changing weather conditions and packed way too much stuff they weighed them down, but in the end the rest of the group was able to make it in.

After packing up I headed over to Fort DeSoto itself to take a few pictures and walk around for a bit. I hadn't returned since my last incredible trip here over a year ago for a different kayaking trip. After getting a few shots that I will eventually geotag and throw onto my Panoramio account for inclusion into Google Earth, I headed to Oldsmar to meet with someone from whom I would purchase my newest lens, a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens that will be considerably better in low light than my old 70-300m f5.6. Though it'll be less of a zoom, I think the pictures will turn out more crisp that will even allow 'zoom by crop' to be just as effective. It is a little too heavy to be a general walk-around lens, but I think I'll suffer the weight just for the opportunity for some good shots in Peru in December and on my upcoming trips.







2 comments:

Meta said...

Nice shots, as usual....enjoy the new lens!

mblitch said...

Thanks for the comment. You have some good shots on your blogspot photo page as well. I still need more practice, especially with depth of field and color contrast.