Saturday, August 08, 2009

Love many trust few & always paddle your own canoe!

After attending a home party last night, I got up way too early this morning when I had to do my weekend training run and then make it to Riverview Park in time to meet with some other kayakers. We loaded up all the boats in my trailer and piled in to head to the launch point at Alderman's Ford Park. I have done several different portions of the Alafia River in the past, but never in one sitting. Although not as swift as something like the Suwannee River it still makes for a good paddle. The water level was high enough that the shoals or rapids did not present any problems. We all had to get out only once in order to drag our boats around a downed tree that blocked the entire river since all the other obstacles could be ducked under to floated over. The paddle ended up being around 17.6 miles between the two points and took about 5 hours at a leisurely pace. It was a good day to do some paddling, but next time I'll probably look to get out at the Kingsway Boat Ramp since the rest of the paddle after that is pretty slow and filled with homes and boat traffic.






No comments: