Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Through caverns measureless to man; Down to a sunless sea.

While I would have liked to visit this park during the summer months to watch the thousands of bats as they leave the opening, winter can just be as nice since one is protected underground from the bitter cold above. After getting my NPS stamp for the park, I signed up for a couple of different guided cave tours as I figured I wouldn't be satisfied without doing at least something off the normal beaten path. The ranger leading the tour was quite knowledgeable and excited about the different aspects of the caves. Although the path we took was marked with tape, it was still more of a caving experience than simply walking down a concrete pathway. I really wished I had thought to bring the tripod on this trip, but packing last minute often has one forgetting a few things. I spent two days at the park here and slept in the car off the nearby main road.

The immense size of the place is amazing and hard to fathom. since there were relatively few people around, I just laid back in one of the amphitheaters and stared at the ceiling and listed to the sounds of near silence for a long while.


Yeah, it's pretty big.The natural entrance.
Bat encased by stalagmite.
I found this formation to be quite nice and alluring. Ahh, beauty in nature.


Even the bathrooms had formations.

Looking up through the Natural Entrance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes the sound of silence is the most beautiful sound in the world.