Sunday, January 27, 2008

If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck -- shoot it.

Last night I found a nice dead end road in a field where I could throw out my bivi and crawl into my sleeping bag. This was the first time I really used the bivi sack and with a slight drizzle in the early morning, it worked great! I headed off to Chiricahua National Monument just as they opened so that I could take the shuttle to the top. The previous day I cam by after hitting Ft. Bowie to look around and get some pictures, so this time I was able to leave my vehicle at the bottom near the visitor center and catch the ride up and hike back down. The walk itself was a little chilly at times with an occasional drizzle, but it was great to be able to do a downhill only hike without having to carry a big pack. I took the Big Loop trail which was about 9.5 miles from top to bottom plus a few side trails along the way to see particular formations. After finishing the hike I headed back to El Paso and stayed overnight with one of my hash friends from the Tex-Mex event.












No comments: