Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star.

The Moon is one of my favorite celestial bodies. I pointed out to my friend that it was seemingly strange to have seen a horizontal horizon when it typically seems that the Earth is casting a vertical shadow. As happens about once every three years, we will be able to enjoy a 'blue Moon' this year. As a bit of trivia, a blue moon is not just the second full moon of a month (as most people think they know if they can even remember that part); rather it occurs when there are four full moons in any given season, rather than the usual three. In 1946, a magazine accidentally printed that a blue moon is when there are two full moons in a single month. It took half a century before anyone caught the mistake, but by that time the incorrect definition was made popular by a Trivial Pursuit question and the easier to grasp concept of 'two full moons in a month'. A blue moon occurs once every two or three years. We (in the Western Hemisphere) will have the a blue moon on May 31, 2007 with the next occurring in Dec of 2009. Interestingly enough, there will be no full moon for the month of February in 2018, so January and March will both have two calendar full moons (the last time this occurred was 2004).

This is the month of the 'Full Wolf Moon'. This was so named because of wolf packs howling hungrily in the snow as they prowl for the scarce food. The 'Hour of the Wolf' is that time period when you just cannot sleep because you're worried about one thing or another. Maybe it is just coincidence that we are coming to the end of the 'Year of the Dog' (related to the wolf) on the Chinese Zodiac calendar. I have been blogging for just over a year and hope my year of the wolf is done. I really haven't been worried about anything in particular, just in a limbo it seems. I've been able to experience and enjoy so much and I hope that continues, but something still seems to be elusively missing. Things are constantly changing, and sometimes that is comforting; after all who wants to live in a static world? Maybe absolutely happiness is scarce, but in the end hunters usually do find what they seek.

2 comments:

Jerri said...

He's 'hungry like the wolf'. I'm crackin' myself up over here!

It will find you.

Jerri said...

I should clarify - I'm cracking up at the song lyrics that popped in my head, not your elusive "something".