Saturday, June 13, 2009

Misspelled? Impossible. My GPS is error correcting!

A couple of months ago I made a trip to the Las Vegas area to accompany a once close friend on a business trip while I did some hiking in the area. A little before I left, I exchanged a few emails with someone that had posted a lot of pictures on Panoramio of the area called Devil's Fire in which I wanted to hike seeking some information. I really enjoyed the area (here is my blog entry of that hike: http://mikeblitch.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-am-not-devils-advocate-i-am-devil.html), so once I got back home I sent him the GPS tracks and links to some of the pictures I took during the long hike.

He e-mailed me recently and mentioned that he had made his own blog post of my trip back then and even made a screencast (basically a how-to video on certain subjects; in this case how to use Google Earth to view some GPS tracks) and included my trip as part of his lesson.

You can see Dr. Robert Jarrett's screen cast (and blog site) here; http://offroadinghome.blogspot.com/2009/06/getting-google-earth-50.html

He also made a general blog entry that also probably better describe my hike than the entry I made when I got back; http://offroadinghome.blogspot.com/2009/04/devils-fire-hike.html Here is the Google Earth file that was created from my trip and hosted on his site; http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/567495/submitted/Devil%27s%20fire%20hike.kml I generally don't have time to make the Google Earth files for all of my trips, and am not sure how many people would be interested anyway, but it is nice to have some unique sites available for others to check out. If you have Google Earth installed, try opening up the file listed above and check out some of the features available to users and some of the neat aspects of what can be done with the program.

One aspect that has always interested me regarding the Internet is the free sharing of ideas and information, so it is nice to have been able to get some information, give some information, and then have the combined efforts made available to any one else out there that just might be interested in learning about it as well.

No comments: