Friday, May 01, 2009

Veni, Vidi, Assisi -- I Came, I Saw, I Became A Monk

I got up around 6:30AM and headed for the Roma Termini (train station) to catch my ride to Assisi. When I was doing the planning I found that this made for a great stop on the way to Florence. Once I figured out how to get the train schedule and use the kiosk, traveling was pretty easy. My iPod Touch had a great app called iRail that would allow me to chose the stations and starting times and it would pull up the schedule and pricing. this made planning much, much easier when on the go since as long as I could find an open access point, then I could find what I needed. I fortunately picked it up when it was free last year, however the price is currently $1.99 and would be worth the savings of time in trying to find an Internet cafe when walking the town. The train was definitely a good way to travel as one does not have to deal with security lines, turbulence, or static views. The 100mph train was a pleasure to ride through all the tunnels and countryside.

After getting to the Assisi train station, I dropped off my pack at bag storage ($3) and got a bus ticket to head to the hillside town. this was my first small-town Italy experience and it was quite lovely. After a quick ride in, it was only a short walk to the Basilica of St. Francis. I really liked the narrow, steep streets lined with pastry and coffee shops and restaurants. The basilica itself was nice and of neat architecture as it had two separate, distinct basilicas, one on top of the other. although it was a bit crowded, especially the line to see the tomb of St. Francis, I really enjoyed the different perspectives. I really loved walking the rest of the town to some of the various other churches as I eventually made my way up to the castle at the top of the hill. I wasn't that interested on going inside, but did explore a little bit behind the castle and had a most lovely walk back down to the town on an almost hidden pedestrian path.

I took the bus back towards the train station, but since I had a lot more time available, I stayed on it for the loop trip through Santa Maria degli Angeli. I walked among some of the art and craft vendors situated outside the basilica for a while before checking out the interior. After leaving, I walked about a mile to a spot that had a clear, sweeping view of Assisi so I could get some nice shots. Before finally hoofing it all the way back to the station, I thought I might just see how a European McDonald's compared to the US. I'm sad to say that what they put out is as bad and nasty as what is expected here and I ended up throwing out half the sandwich. So much for the Pulp Fiction 'Royal with cheese' expectation. Overall, I am quite glad that I stopped here for a little while and thought it to be a beautiful place that might have been a nice place in which to hostel for the night, but I wanted to get on to Florence and the photography opportunities that would be there. I got in just after dusk and just had time to take a couple of pictures on my way tot he hostel so I could grab a shower and some needed food.











Watching a young lady paint a picture in her shop window. A great
Renaissance experience.


Looking up the Arco River after dusk.

No comments: