Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I took the road less traveled and fell in a hole.

I said my silent goodbyes to Rome and headed to the train station for one last trip, this time back to the airport from where the trip began. I had been keeping good track of my cash and by the time I got to the terminal, I had just enough money to purchase a drink and leave a tip before boarding the plane. While I was able to sleep on the way to Italy so I could be fresh, I had to try to stay up for the entire flight in an attempt to reset my clock. I was able to get through pretty much all the movies they had available; Gran Torino, Bride Wars, Underworld 2, Frost/Nixon, and Seven Pounds. Before leaving Italy I picked up a copy of the classic 'Oliver Twist' and was able to get through a good bit as well. Once I get a lot of things in my life a bit more settled, I plan to take the time to try to go through some of the old classics I should have read a long time ago, including interesting works such as one I've always wanted to go through, e.g. On the Origin of Species.

After getting back to La Guardia, I picked up my boarding pass for a 6:10AM flight, had a meal (that finally didn't consist of mostly pasta), and wandered the airport for a while. I finally found an alcove near the admistrative offices in which I could sleep and did my best to get some rest. I was up by 5 o'clock and made my way through security and to my departure gate, however I was very saddened to see that my flight with Airtran had been canceled! There was no reason given, merely that it was no longer going out. I had to then take an 8:30 flight to Atlanta which pushed my schedule quite a fit, however fortunately I was given a voucher for a free one-way flight that I need to use in the next year, so at least something came out of it. I was able to at least borrow a phone in order to call home to rearrange my pickup time.

No comments: