Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ever notice that even the busiest people are never too busy to tell you just how busy they are?

For Memorial Weekend I've decided to stay home and take care of various projects that need attention. In the past few years I'd spent the time at a campout in Atlanta, however with so many changes and updates, I just wasn't interested in a big trip anymore. I have been attending a lot more local, social events and have been able to meet a lot of new folks and even randomly run into people I hadn't seen in years. I went to most of these events not expecting to know anyone at all, but in each of them I've met someone I either knew or someone that personally knew another friend I had. I went to the Creative Loafing #Summertime party at Fly Bar last week after work and ran into someone I knew several years ago that was apparently working in their HR department and had a nice time catching up. Yesterday I attended an event at the Florida Aquarium and had someone walk up to ask a random question that turned out to be someone I knew in the USF SCUBA Club over 10 years ago. I am always amazed as to how small a world it can be and how small chances and opportunities can become grand adventures. It has been nice to get out and meet new folks and become aware of different activities and organizations in the area from meetup to emerge and even marketing events like the #summertime release party.

Instead of cookouts this weekend, however, I'm working on painting and repair projects on one of the rental homes. I was given the 30 day notice just two days before I left for Italy that 2/3s of the remaining tenants (the 4th having told me they were vacating in May a month ago) would be leaving Tampa after graduation at the end of May. So now I'm having to catch up on maintenance projects, painting, and such and try to market the place. "There ain't no sunshine when she's gone" but apparently when it rains it pours as evidence by the solid rain cover we've had for the last week.

No comments: