Thursday, May 07, 2009

The good news is that the bad news is not much worse than usual.

This was a definite day of good news/bad news. I don't think I've ever before really recognized such a distinct pattern of one after the other in a single day.

Bad news: Last night when chatting with some folks I loaned a pen to someone and forget to get it back before I left.
Good news: Enjoyed a nice final breakfast on the Grand Canal as I waited for the train to Rimini and found two pens sitting on the tray when I boarded the train.
Horrible news: Just after leaving Bologna, our high speed train apparently hit someone on the tracks. I was in the third car and it felt and sounded like one was driving over a piece of road debris on the interstate, or when a tire suddenly goes flat, as something was bouncing along undercarriage. I wouldn't know if it was suicide or unintentional as the trains do travel at about 100 MPH and can get to you before you react if not paying attention. We had to sit there for two hours as the police finally made it out to the middle of nowhere and dealt with clearing, and cleaning I suppose, the scene.
Good news: Finished my first audio book of the trip, 'The Gunslinger' by Stephen King.
Bad news: Arrived in Rimini too late to take the bus and tour San Marino. I had originally planned to get in much earlier so to check out San Marino and then take the overnight train (with a few track changes though) to Naples. So my late arrival left me with no plan or lodging.
Good news: Found the tourist information place near train station right before it closed. Got a list of hostels and with the aid of the GPS and map, found one less than a mile away as the crow flies, but since this crow had to walk around the train compound, it ended up being a bit further.
Bad news: I walked a good distance with everything I owned (on this continent at least) to make it to the it to the Jammin Hostel in hopes they would have available space.
Good news: The place was about empty (tourist summer season hadn't started yet). The cost was only about 15. That price included free wi-fi, sheets, small breakfast, and even bicycle rental! Since barely anyone was staying, there were plenty of bikes to be had, so after setting up my stuff, I headed out towards the beach. The bike was key in being able to enjoy this little city today and I was able to see a lot that I would have otherwise missed due to the distance. I went by the Titus Arch, rode on and along the open beach, ate at a nice brewery/restaurant called Booty, and stopped by a supermarket to pick up some fruit and supplies.
Bad news: Although pretty much the entire place was empty, the staff placed all the residents in one room to save on cleaning time/costs. So it seems 6 of us were in the entire place, all of us were in one room.
Good news: No one snored!





No comments: