Sunday, January 15, 2006

Fear is not a factor for me


After visiting a friend in Orlando and even doing some geocaching Sunday, I decided to hit Universal Studios on the way back to Tampa. I did the MIB ride a couple of times and then went over to the 'Fear Factor Live' show that opened up several months ago. They were doing auditions for the last show of the day (in another 75 minutes or so), so I figured I would try. I put forth my most fun and excited personality and got selected as one of the 6 contestants. After going through all the paperwork and changing to the spandex outfits (complete with disposable underwear since no one wants to go combat in another person's fatigues) we were briefed. The first test was one of enduance where we went up to a 40' platform and had to hang on to some slanted bars as the platform dropped from under us. The first two to drop were out of the running with the last person getting an advantage in chosing the partner for the next round. I held on the second longest, so I didn't do too bad (next time if I plan to go I'll try to sneak in some chaulk). The winner of the first round chose some one of the older guys for his partner since if that team won, then those two would compete in the final round. He said that he wouldn't want to compete against me in the end. Anyway, the second round had one person hanging 15 feet in the air with a bucket and their other partner running to a tank containing eels, grabbing bean bags, and running back to toss them. Apparently one of my throws went astray (or the catcher missed), so were were down by one point. The second part had the partner swinging with some octopi with the other person (myself) teathered in a short area trying to catch them as they were tossed. Both the other guy and I caught them all, so the final tally had use down by one, thus we were eliminated and forced to do the 'Walk of Shame'. We got cleaned up and watch the remainder of the competition from backstage. Apparently only the 1st and 2nd place people get anything, so alas, there were no momentos, not even a photograph. Oh well, I'll give it another shot someday and we'll see if fear still won't be a factor. The first place prize (4 one day passes to the parks) would have been nice (sneeze.. ebay..cough cough), but alas. It was still fun since I finished the day by doing 'The Mummy Returns' ride three times in a row and met a couple of nice girls from UCF in the last line.

Overall, it was a good weekend. I have to get packed this week since I and a few friends will be kayaking at 10,000 Islands are (Everglades) for the weekend. We'll go to Naples and crash Friday night so we can be at the boat ramp 7AM or so On Saturday so we can hit the right tide.

No comments: