Friday, June 15, 2007

A thunderstorm is Nature's way of saying "Up yours!"

After a nice breakfast I started to make my way back home. I wanted to hit some caches on the way back, however every time I thought about stopping, it would literally start drizzling again. Instead of taking Alligator Alley back, I went up US 41 towards Naples so that I could hit a couple of more park sites including one last stop for the Everglades National Park and one for Big Cypress National Preserve. There was a decent loop scenic drive that was off 41 that ended up being about 15 miles of bumby dirt road, but it did indeed go through some nice areas that demonstrated the environment. The visitor center had probably the oldest informational film in the entire National Park System, but I guess things don't change that quickly anyway. I hit one of the roadside parks just as a large thunderstorm moved in, killing visibility for a while. Florida weather can be strange in that one can drive through a strong rain band, yet after punching through a few minutes later the other side can be bone dry. I hit a few caches on the way up before it got dark and finally got home after a few more downpours along the way, slowing my progression home.

No comments: