Friday, June 22, 2007

South Carolina law prohibits the sale of paint, housewares, or hi-fi equipment on Sundays. [SECTION 53-1-60.]

After sleeping in a bit, the group got cleaned up and decided to grab breakfast, consisting of BBQ from a local chain, and were glad to have been able to have Jason join us on his lunch hour (the probably stretched in a little over two hours). After brunch, we headed towards downtown Charleston so I could take the visitor around and show them the highlights of the of the area including the Citadel, Brittlebank park, and drive along The Battery. We got out a little before White Point Gardens and walked for a while. We headed past Rainbow Row and on to Waterfront Park where we were able to snag a swing for a short while and enjoy watching the sailboats cruise around. The girls enjoyed a bit of shopping along Market Street before we meandered our way back to the vehicle while passing some of the famous churches as well as Charleston's 'Four corners of Law'.

Here is a Google Earth overlay of the walk along with some pictures taken along the way.
http://mblitch.googlepages.com/walkingalongthebattery.kmz

While I was in the area, and since I had the power of pilot, I decided to hit three local sites so I could collect a couple more NPS Passport Stamps. I first hit the Liberty Square area for the Fort Sumter National Monument and picked up a couple of stamps before driving over the Sullivan's Island to visit Fort Moultrie National Monument. I hadn't been here since the junior year retreat in high school when I attended Bishop England High School. My National Park pass got all of us in for free, though we only hung out long enough to take a few pictures of the area since I could tell someone was really getting bored. My last stop was at the Charles Pinckney National Historic Site since it was literally less than a mile out of the way. as it was still early afternoon, I felt there was no rush to arrive since few people would be there yet anyway.

When we finally arrived at the campout, couldn't help but drive up right to the beer trailer and pour a frosty beverage directly from the tap while sitting in the truck, all the while the other passengers complaining and poking me out of jealousy. We set up out tents and commenced the weekend relaxation. Jason finally arrive in the early evening. Though I offered to help, he seemed intent on getting the massive tent up on his own. It only took a little less than an hour; but being a camp out what is the measurement of time anyway? A time lapse movie of the construction of the nylon poles and light fabric can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz08NBBlqPY

No comments: