Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hitchhiker's Guide - "Cheaper than the 'Encyclopedia Galactica'."

After a good evening of rest I set the alarm so I could get to the Smokey Mountains Visitor Center when it opened. I had time to self-register for my permit and get my camping gear organized before it was open. I started getting stamps from the National Park system Passport program in February when in the Everglades. All of the parks current 391 units have a stamp designating the location as a means to encourage people to collect them and visit country's resources. I wish I knew about this previously when I was visiting a bunch of parks in California as I would have been able to really get a jump on it, however I guess I must now consider going to to parks again sometime. :)

I drove over to the Smokymount Camping area and parked at the old Baptist Church lot. My plan was to hitch-hike to the top of Clingman's Dome and then hike back down to the truck. It took me about two hours of standing around until I found a kind-hearted soul willing to take the time to give me a lift. Amanda had just finished her own little daily hike near the campground and was about to head back down the mountain to Cherokee, but still asked where I was heading. After explaining my plan, she offered to give me a lift to the top, although it was going 18 miles in the exact opposite direction of her intended route home. There was some construction on the mountain road, so I had a chance to talk to her and learn of some of her own trips and traveling. She was able to share a lot of information concerning the local history, the park, and level events (such as the current local issue of the completion of the highway to nowhere). I was very thankful of her assistance since not even people slowly driving by in pickups (where I would have been glad to ride in the bed) ever stopped. It is a shame hitch hiking has such a stigma in the US since it is a very common method of travel abroad. Often when I travel I am loaded with gear, but I still try to assist people whenever I have the means and would hope some people would pay-it-forward.





After getting to the top parking area and saying goodbye, I stashed my pack and took the paved path to the top of Clingman's Dome. Last time I was here 4-5 years ago with Chasity and some friends, we didn't have time to make it to the top since we had to get started on the hike down. It was a solid .5 mile steep descent that wouldn't be considered easy, although it wasn't quite enough to warrant all the whining I heard from such out of shape people constantly saying that there should be a tram. It is a half mile folks! Oh well, I guess it would take 264 trips between the couch and the fridge for most of these people to walk a mile anyway. It was a nice view since it was decently clear day. As I was waiting to leave I was talking to another hiker that had camped further down the mountain who came up to the top as a day hike. We were going going to descend the same trail that was a little over a mile and a half from the parking area, however he didn't want to hang around and soon took of. I was able to talk a father and son that were getting back into their pickup to head back to give me a ride to the trailhead. I sheepishly waved to the hiker as we passed him a few minutes later. I hopped out, thanked the driver and his son for their assistance and got started.

The first couple of miles were difficult since the trail was blocked in several places from fallen trees assumably felled during winter storms. There were a couple of teams of trailblazers that were working on clearing the trails so the public could enjoy them. My plan was to hike the Noland Divide trail, to the Pole Rd Creek trail, and then over to the Deep Creek trail for a stay at campsite #54 with an overall length of 6.7 miles. Since it was mostly downhill, it wasn't too difficult, however still had the previous mile loop hike of the Dome top itself and waiting around for a ride, so I had to keep a decent pace so I could make it before dark.

It was a nice stroll throughout the day with even a lovely stream crossing over Deep Creek. The camp site was right on the creek, so water was in plentiful supply. It was nice to get a chance to sleep with the sounds of the water rushing over the rocks.

No comments: