Sunday, April 01, 2007

C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\RUN C:\WINDOWS\RUN\AMUCK

This was the weekend of the Run-A-Muck campout in Orlando. Except for the Tampa Campout in December, this is the largest hash camping event in Florida. We had probably 130-140 hanging out throughout the weekend. For the first time, I decided not to take the big camper and to just use the teardrop and I found it is much easier now. There is very little set-up time where as it would previously take more than an hour to put up or take down the hybrid camper sides, awning, stabilizers, outdoor carpet, tables, etc. The weekend was a typical campout with lits of great stories, little adventures, and a good trail. Friday evening was spent hanging out with fun folks playing tippy cup, 3-man, or just generally chatting. Saturday had a great trail with almost no roadway or flat running, though I misjudged where I thought the trail might go and added another mile when I had to backtrack and find the group. The second portion was the best with the trail following several nature boardwalks, fields, and wooded areas. Saturday night we had a band play with some people dancing, however most of us decided to play games or go sit by the fire and sing our own songs with Limp D playing the guitar, and myself providing some backup vocals. Someone brought an electric car that was used for constant joy riding throughout the weekend with only a single tent fatality. On Sunday Wayyy brought over his firetruck, so we piled on and were riding around the back streets and had a great time enjoying the bright, but cool weather.

Though some people went on a pub crawl after the campout, I headed off to Orlando to meet a friend at the Gaylord Palms Resort. They were attending a national conference for the week and the main guest speaker was Vice President Al Gore, so I thought it would be neat to attend. I got there just before the speech started and though it was quite long, I thought it was interesting and informative enough. There was mostly rhetoric about global warming and environmental concerns (glacier melting, green house emissions, auto fuel efficiency, etc). Surprisingly there were only a few joking jabs at the current administration, but I did find myself comparing speaking styles comparative to the current President (who used to be quite eloquent in the old days yet very different now).

Pictures of the weekend campout can be found here:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=vnlbugz.37jeont3&x=0&y=w7ikq2

No comments: