Sunday, March 11, 2007

Kayaker Philosophy: I didn't roll, therefore I swam

A busy weekend for sure. On Sunday, after dragging several people out of bed through multiple phone calls after Saturday's TBH3 Green Dress pub crawl in Temple Terrace, we headed out to Caladesi Island for some kayaking. Most of us that went will be hitting the Everglades in a couple of weeks for the end of season camping and paddling trip before the weather gets too warm and the bugs too numerous.

The weather was a bit blustery, so I elected to keep the camera in the dry bag the entire time so to not chance getting salt inside. It was not too rough that it wasn't fun, though we didn't get the chance to see dolphins this time around. We paddled a little bit further than the last trip there and beached for a short lunch of subs. We portaged the kayaks across a small isthmus on the way back so we could relax on the leeward side of the island. We were fortunate to have a high side since the last time I attempted this I had to spend a good bit of time dragging the kayak over numerous sandbars. The next couple of weeks will be slow in terms of activities as I attempt to catch up on home projects and deal with issues at the office. I seriously need to start planning my summer and Australia trips and hope to find time to really start the necessary research sometime this week.

No comments: