Monday, December 04, 2006

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

This was the weekend of the annual Tampa Campout. Everything really seemed to come together this year in terms of weather, the folks that came, and logistics. The event tends to be one of the biggest hash events in Florida every year and we probably had 120-130 people there throughout the weekend. Friday morning was spent getting things packed up and ready to go. There was a little stress when the call came in that the truck that was bringing the 12 kegs and refrigerator trailer had a smoking transmission, however after a while, they still made it in.

One of the draws for the site, besides a general open area, was the foam party in the dance area. There was a trail on Friday evening that basically circled the camp pond a couple of times (with numerous stops at various tents for shots of different variety) and ending at the foam party by the pool. There we pretty much danced and chatted for unknown hours. When the party died then people gathered around the camp fire for general conversation and chatting. Though most people don't carry watches at a camping event, I did eventually hear a call out of 5AM and decided it was time to go to bed since I was the hare for the trail the next morning.

When I woke up around 9:30AM, I just had time to get a little breakfast and drop off the extra flour along the trail at some predetermined points. Though I was fortunate enough to get a volunteer to help me, I had to scout and pretty much set most of the trail. Let me tell you, it wasn't extremely fun to sprint off running carrying 5-7 pounds of flour on a 'live trail (meaning nothing was pre-marked) for the 3-4 mile hash. Things were going pretty well for the first half, however my co-hare apparently got sick and got left at the first beer stop to ride with the beer truck. I didn't realize this since I was pretty far ahead and waiting for a while until I really had to take off. I was a bit limited in what I could do since the start an stopping point were pre-determined since I had to lead the pack to a bar about 3 miles down the road, but overall it was a lot of fun and I think they enjoyed being taken through the various areas. We finished at a local 'Moose Lodge' (kind of like the Flinstones Water Buffalo club) where they had lunch cooked up and free flowing beer. After returning to the camp site I crashed for a few hours of well needed sleep. In the late afternoon there were plenty of Hash Olympic games to play that provided a wealth of entertainment; Chubby Bunny, Izzy Dizzy, etc. After dinner there was yet even more foam partying, a midnight trail around camp with more shot stops, and great late night conversation.

Sunday was mostly recovery with a few events. My favorite part of the camping tends to be when everyone just sits around for the final hours of the morning and afternoon to relax and chat. There are so many awesome stories to share and just hearing all the constant laughter is refreshing. Based on past experience, I decided to take Monday off to recover, so I took my time throughout the day to pack up and clean since I decided to stay one final night instead of rush home. As usual I took a couple of pictures during the weekend, so you can check them out if you'd like. I cannot wait until next year! What a great way to wrap up such a wonderful year for me. I've met so many great folks and had several fun adventures and am starting to plan more for the coming year.

I wonder what is next.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=vnlbugz.1qj3pmwj&x=0&y=e8fkul

2 comments:

Rafael said...

Looks like it was a fun time! Whatever happened to the DVD of pictures from the cruise?

Jerri said...

I have it you dip, you were supposed to show me how to burn it for you guys. Still waiting....... of course he's still waiting on you guys' pictures too, so I could use that as an excuse!