Saturday, December 30, 2006

Can I dry ice in the oven?

After hearing about the ICE! Exhibit from my friend Angel, I decided that since Orlando was on the way to the NYE weekend camp out that I would go check it out. I talked to Mammaries into attending the event with me since I knew she wouldn't be leaving her veterinary clinic until just before we got to Orlando anyway and found that Kiddie and VC were interested in going as well since they were riding with me to the campout (and probably just didn't want to stay in the car while were were inside). The tickets and parking (yes, we had to pay for parking!) were a little expensive, but overall the experience was worth it! We stopped by a Walgreen's store on the way to the show and picked up some coupons that we used and gave the extras to some other folks in line [for good karma].

The exhibit was created by artisans from China mostly using hand tools for all the carvings. It takes 30 truckloads of ice produced in Georgia to put together the material needed for the event. Besides the different clear and pure ice that uses hyper filter de-ionized water, there are ten different colors of ice that make up the displays. After witnessing this, I am sure that I would love to someday see the Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival in China that is hundreds of times larger than this small event. I really enjoyed the different displays and was particularly impressed with the use of all the different colors. Fortunately when reading my friend's blog post about the event I was able to best prepare by bringing extra hats and gloves as well as my own coat that had pockets for the hands, since the provided parkas lacked those. Since I was dealing with the camera, I gave my gloves to someone else but found that even at 9 degrees I wasn't too cold except for the hands after a while. At the end there was even an ice slide that I decided to wait out and try. After we left we got some hot chocolate at the resort and walked around to enjoy the grandiose decor, gator exhibit, and overall atmosphere of the resort (though I couldn't take any photos since it took an hour for the condensation in the camera to dissipate after leaving the cold air for the humid environment).

If you want to see most of the photos I took at the exhibit, then go to: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=vnlbugz.937lxfr7&x=0&y=-3bci7d

Hanging with a cool jolly guy.


Ice ice baby.


Leaving the ICE! exhibit. Goodbye from 'chilly' Florida!

No comments: