Monday, December 18, 2006

The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat it.

The week was spent at the office trying to catch up on some insanely neglected accounting and paperwork with my evening working at the office until 1:30 in the morning Friday night. I overslept a bit and had to rush to get out the door to run through Orlando to pick up a friend to head over the Melbourne on the east coast to attend a holiday party (more of a pub crawl, but holiday themed at least). The event itself was a lot of fun, but I unfortunately left my camera in the truck when we changed vehicles, so do not yet have any pictures to share. We hit a couple of different spots with the end being an old theater called 'The Metro' that has a couple of different screens where they show independent and other artsy movies. There was food waiting for us as well as the hash tags and other give-aways. although not as many people showed up as were expected, it was a fun time.

After the hash group's time was up, apparently the next group was more of a gothic toned crowd with some S&M kind of displays. Apparently the highlight was a half-clad girl getting covered in plastic wrap and whipped cream so people could pay to lick it off. That was pretty much as boring as it sounds, so I went to the other side where a few bands were playing. I walked in half-way though the set list of a band called 'Lennex'. Apparently they came in fourth on some recent reality show called 'Rockstar Supernova'. I was really impressed with the vocals and music and enjoyed sitting there for a while listening. I wish they were coming through Tampa so I could hear the whole set, but unfortunately Orlando is as close as they'll be. AP was kind enough to house us for the evening and even made waffles in the morning!

I came back Sunday afternoon with just enough time to get to the TBPAC to see the performance of 'The Serpent' that was produced by the Jobsite Theater Company. Being more of an abstract performance art piece rather than a typical play with a dialog, plot, and other normal aspects, it is hard to provide a synopsis, so if interested just check out some of the links. Since we hadn't done anything in a while, I invited my dad to join me, though I'm really not sure what he thought of it since I do not think that he had never really been previously exposed to something like that. After the show I walked around downtown for a while enjoying the wonderful weather while I waited for a friend to finish errands to meet at Channelside for some sangria at Tinatapa's. Overall it was a great way to end the weekend. The past couple of weeks have been really stressful with work and other aspects, so I really needed that chance to relax and wind down.

My old high school friend Jason will be coming down from Charleston for a week's stay at the end of the week. Besides some of the usual stuff, we'll probably take the kayaks over the Crystal River one morning and do some swimming or paddling with the manatees.

1 comment:

Jerri said...

Licking whipped cream off a chic wrapped in saran wrap sounds boring? You should really get that checked!