Sunday, April 16, 2006

Skydiving - When in doubt, whip it out!


Since I'm hosting the skydiving hash next Saturday, I figured it would be a good time to get current again so I'd actually be able to jump with the folks that come out. Looking at my logbook, it had been a couple of years since my last jump and then even a couple of years before that since any real active jumping. I decided to do a coaching jump (pretty much jump with an instructor who helps work on form or technique) to make sure things were about as I remembered. Just like SCUBA diving for me, I can be out of it for quite a while but just as easily step back and have a tendency to remember these kinds of things (emergency procedures, traditions, etc) relatively well since it is mostly muscle memory and just paying attention or being observant. My buddy Jon also wanted to get back into it, so he sat in on an AFF class and did a Level I jump to make sure things were what he remember. We'll be definitely joining us next weekend, so it'll be good to be able to get in some fly time with a few friends.

Since we used the rig and parachute for a photo shoot for the hash tags last Thursday, I even had to repack my own main at home but was able to remember everything with relative easy. Except for being a bit unstable as a result of not flying in such a long time, everything went just as planned. It felt really good to be able to get back into the air again and I'm going to have to simply plan to try to jump at least once every 2-3 months to stay current. I don't think I'm going to be a regular jumper and get into relative work (doing formations with groups of skydivers), but I'd just like to feel the wind every now and then and enjoy the fall and parachuting itself ever now and then.

No comments: