Monday, April 24, 2006

I refuse to tiptoe through life.. only to arrive at death safely.

On Saturday I had my first (annual?) Skydive Hash event. I really was not expecting nearly so many people since only about 10 people told me that they were going to camp and stay for dinner. Tina was a fun person that I met in New Orleans in February at Mardi Gras and convinced a few of her friends from Baton Rouge, LA to do a road trip to Tampa. They came in Friday night so I took the camper up so I could hang with them for a while. My friend Melissa came out with her buddy Robin for a tandem. Both of them just happened to be at the hang gliding field a few months ago when I was there. I later met Melissa and we thought it was pretty weird that we were standing next to each other a few months ago, only to met in person later. On Saturday quite a few people decided to make the jump including my father. He came out to watch me do my first skydive nearly ten years ago and I finally convinced him to come out and give it a shot. Dad even was planning to join in the hang gliding event a few months ago but was unable to fly due to high winds (though he did take the opportunity to do a flight on an ultralight). It was great to be able to ride up in the plane with him and even invert and watch him exit the door of the plane. A bunch of my other hash friends like Marcia from Jacksonville and many of the Tampa folks came to enjoy the weather and the event.

There were many big loads going up (such as 80 person formations) at the drop zone, so there was always something to see. Setting trail on Saturday was fun, but apparently the pack got lost when some locals decided to wash the flour marks away. :(
Anyway, the event went pretty well since a lot of good folks stepped in to assist such as Karen, Diana, Jason, and Jon, so their efforts are very much appreciated. We went through a full keg, 5 cases of beer, half a slab of ribs, chicken, and hamburger for the 35 people or so that showed up.

No comments: