Sunday, March 05, 2006

Terminator: I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.

After a short stay in my own bead Wednesday and Thursday night, I took off with three other Tampa friends to head to Daytona Beach for the beginning weekend of Bike Week. This will my by second year attending the event. We stay at the Mayan Inn every year that is on the beach and just a couple of blocks from main street. There were about 100+ hashers that signed up with quite a few traveling a pretty good distance to get there (including Ft. Walton Beach and Virginia Beach). Most of the attendees were veterans. We had a small pub crawl Friday night in preparation for the main event Saturday. During Bike Week, the police shut down Main Street to vehicles other than motorcycles. For about 10 minutes on Saturday morning, they even stop that traffic so the hashers can do their trail through down. It is quite a sight to witness a large pack of runners with whistles booking down the street with mugs in hand. We hit at least four bars throughout the day and even have time to sit down for some food waterside.

In the evening I decided to take a walk along the beach. There is still quite a bit of devastation from the hurricane that hit Daytona Beach in 2004 with many of the beachside hotels or condos still unusable. Though I usually love to stay late at the big events to sit around a chat, I had to plan to leave by three o'clock in order to have ample time to travel back to Tampa so that I wouldn't be late for a concert.

No comments: